Once we agreed on the critical abilities for this game, we started to outline the critical needs for our design. In order:
1. WE must build it. This means it not only meets the time/money requirements of the FRC build season, but it must be within our means and resources to research, design, build, test, tweak, and iterate the design.
2. The robot must pass inspection. There were several great ideas that got tossed because of these silly rules the GDC likes to put out.
3. The robot must move. As Mr. Bill said, the three most critical components of any robot are Drivetrain, Drivetrain, and Drivetrain.
4. Score High Goal. This coincides with our Top Seven Robot Abilities.
5. Get Ball. Once again, following along with the important abilities.
6. Pass. The caveat was added – we want to use an existing mechanism if possible.
7. Line of Sight. Whatever we do, we want the driver to have a clear view of what’s going on. This led to the idea of having a “throughput” robot – one in which the accumulation and the expulsion are on opposite ends of the robot. This allows the driver a clear view of all important tasks.
These discussions were led by new team mentor Danny Blau.