On January 15th, the team came together and identified the different prototypes they wanted to research and test.
The team determined that we wanted to check the following types of prototypes:
- Passive defense object (manipulates defense)
- Ball pickup rollers vertical
- Ball pickup horizontal
- Ball pickup wheels
- Ball pickup tube like design
- Ball pickup conveyor
- Passive Scaling Mechanisms
- Active Scaling Mechanisms
- Elevator Mechanism
Students did research and found examples of different prototypes.
On Saturday, the team split into three different prototyping groups.
- color sensors for automated driving
- pseudocode for robot
- set up github for 2016
- Grip tested with different wheels, tapes, surgical tubing and pool noodles/litter
- Developed horizontal and vertical prototypes of roller claw for boulder manipulation.
- Pool noodle with horizontal orientation with 1 in. compression on boulder was best fit.
- Prototyped 3 different lift mechanisms.
- two were pneumatic based, one with a winch and one without, both however, dealt with a piston moving an inner piece that would slide a hook
- the last dealt with a mix of a telescopic and cascading lift, driven with chain and sprocket and slid against each other with bearings.
- Now currently researching telescopic lifts from team 233 and 27
So far a group of highly talented parents have completed 4 out of 7 of the defenses we need to test our prototypes with. THANK YOU PARENTS!